Mental fatigue and overall performance is something that almost 2 in every 3 Australian’s struggle with at some point in their lives. So how are you functioning?
A goal common to all of us is to reach success, whether it be in work, school, sport, and social settings. We crave that feeling of accomplishment and reward after we put in so much effort and dedication. However, it can be difficult to maintain a constant and high level of motivation throughout these endeavours, and our performance levels can fluctuate wildly.
Performance on a task can depend on many factors, many of which are external and we have no control over, such as disruptions at work or home, and internally such as the current mental state. Over time we may adapt to these situations, and performance levels return to normal, but some may struggle and will continue to underperform in these important activities.
Signs and Symptoms
You may be struggling with functionality and have performance problems if:
- You lack the motivation to complete a task, or the motivation is there but you find yourself constantly procrastinating.
- Tasks seem overwhelming and are causing high levels of stress.
- You are constantly not reaching your full potential.
- You are falling behind on work and struggling to catch up.
- People close to you are concerned about your ability to perform.
- You are often preoccupied with other thoughts while trying to complete a task and commonly find yourself daydreaming.