What is Fatigue?
Most of us will experience fatigue at certain points in our life – maybe as a first time parent getting used to the sleeping routines of a baby or after the completion of a particularly hard project at work – and after getting back to regular sleeping habits the symptoms will gradually disappear over time.
For some people, however, the feelings of fatigue do not go away, even with what is considered to be an optimal amount of sleep at night. This type of fatigue can affect all aspects of everyday life, and take a severe mental toll over any length of time. If you or someone you know is suffering from the symptoms of fatigue, you should have them checked out by a medical professional. It’s easy just to assume you need more sleep, but there may also be an underlying health issue that should be investigated and treated.
What are the signs and symptoms of Fatigue?
Symptoms of fatigue can range from slightly out of the normal or mild issues to debilitating and long lasting problems. Not everyone will experience fatigue in the same way, and this is why a medical professional will look at all aspects of your health and lifestyle to determine a diagnosis of fatigue.
Symptoms of fatigue can include:
- A general feeling of tiredness, no matter the amount of sleep you are getting
- Wanting to sleep or take frequent naps during the day
- Not feeling refreshed when waking up from sleep
- Feeling mentally and physically worn out
- Suffering from memory loss, poor concentration or being easily distracted
- Headaches or migraines
- Eating unhealthily or overeating, gaining or losing weight
- Showing signs of poor judgement and bad decision making
- Getting sick frequently or not getting over illnesses quickly
- A lack of motivation
We can all struggle with some of these issues from time to time, however a health care professional will be able to diagnose fatigue if many symptoms are present and they occur on a regular basis for extended periods of time. As well as discussing symptoms, lifestyle and behaviour with you, it’s likely that they will conduct a thorough physical examination and this may include blood and urine analysis.
How common is Fatigue?
It’s believed that almost 1.5 million Australians may suffer from symptoms of fatigue during their life.
What are the causes of Fatigue?
Fatigue can be a complex issue to diagnose, and generally may involve other physical or mental problems. Causes are varied by can include:
- Medical issues: many medical issues can cause feelings of fatigue, including diabetes, anaemia, arthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome, infections and viruses, heart conditions
- Emotional issues or stress: fatigue can feature in a range of emotional and mental issues such as anxiety, grief and depression
- Lifestyle: Not getting enough sleep or sleeping too much, a lack of exercise, substance abuse or poor diet can all contribute to feelings of fatigue
Many common prescription medications can also cause symptoms of fatigue, and you should talk to your healthcare professional if you feel this might be the case with the drugs you are taking.
Treatment options for Fatigue
At Brain Training Australia™ we off Neurofeedback Brain Training for clients opting for a safe, natural and drug-free approach for clients struggling with mental fatigue to retrain brain activity and to optimise brain functionality.
We can help. Get in touch with us today
Fatigue can be debilitating and affect every aspect of your life. It can also be a hard issue to talk to someone about.
Your first step is to get in contact with us.
All new clients receive a free, complementary and no obligation 15-minute phone consult with a dedicated member of our team. If you’re on the fence, wondering if Neurofeedback Brain Training is right for you, then this is a really good place to start.
If you are ready to get started then you can just book in your First Appointment and get started straight away.
The team at Brain Training Australia™ recognise the unique qualities of all our clients and will work closely with you to personalise your Brain Training Program so that you can achieve your goals of optimal mental processes.
We look forward to helping you live a much richer, happier and healthier life.