Who is this book suited to?
This book is suited to:
- Teens and adults struggling with sleep problems, and
- Mental Health Practitioners such as Psychologists, Counsellors and Psychotherapists who work with clients struggling with sleep problems.
In particular, this book is suited to those who experience:
- Difficulty falling asleep at night
- Waking up during the night
- Waking up too early
- Not feeling well-rested after a night’s sleep
- Daytime tiredness or sleepiness
- Irritability, depression or anxiety
- Difficulty paying attention, focusing on tasks or remembering
- Increased errors or accidents
- Ongoing worries about sleep
How will this book help me?
In this book, you will learn simple Sleep Hygiene Psychoeducation strategies, such as:
- How to get a better night’s sleep
- Causes of sleeping problems
- Tips to improve your quality of sleep
- Learn the best sleeping habits
- Five habits to improve your nighttime sleep
- How to fall asleep fast
- Ways to fall asleep faster
- How much healthy sleep do we need
- How to create the perfect sleeping environment
- 8 Changes you can make to your bedroom to make it a better place to sleep
- How to set up the ideal setting for rest
- Therapy options for Sleep Disorders
- Things you can do to solve sleeping disorders
- Ways to solve sleeping problems
- 5 Keys to a good night’s sleep
- 20 Tricks to sleep better and fall asleep
- 10 Reasons why sleep is key to a healthy life
- Ways to improve sleep
Signs & Symptoms of Sleep Problems
The following are some of the signs and symptoms that you may be expereincing a Sleep problem or disorder:
- Difficulty in sleeping or sticking to regular sleeping habits
- Not feeling refreshed when waking from sleep
- Having difficulty concentrating or focusing on a task for any length of time
- Irritability or excessive anxiety
- Experiencing accidents at work or at home because of sleepiness or loss of concentration
- Moodiness or depression
- Low immune system leading to the development of coughs, colds and flus
- Weight gain
- Low sex drive
It is also believed that sleep problems experienced over a long period of time can lead to a higher risk of developing illnesses such as diabetes or heart disease.
What are the contents of this book?
Elaine holds a BSc (Hons) in Psychology, BA (Hons) in Industrial Relations and Human Resource Management, and a MSc in Work and Organisational Psychology.
She is a Member of the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), the Australian Psychological Society, the British Psychological Society, the Australian Association of Psychologists Inc (AAPi), a qualified Psychometrician, Advanced Neurofeedback Trainer, and a mother to a young growing family.
With over 20 years of professional experience in health services and working directly with complex behavioural and mental health issues. To date, she has helped thousands of Irish and Australian clients improve their mental wellness, working with her clients to develop proactive approaches to solving the modern-day challenges around mental well-being.
Elaine has extensive psychotherapy consulting experience across Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Ireland, the United Kingdom, Spain, Switzerland, Canada, the United States and South America.
Elaine has substantial experience working with clients presenting with:
- Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) assessment, diagnosis and treatment.
- Anxiety Disorders
- Anger issues
- Behavioural problems
- Grief & Loss
- Relationship issues
- Sleep-related problems
- Work Identity, Personal Identity and Social Identity challenges
- Life Transitions such as marriage or a new relationship; the arrival of a new baby; parenting an infant, child, or adolescent; growing up and moving away from home; adjustment to college or the workplace; empty nesting; divorce, separation, or recovery from infidelity; retirement, job loss, or career changes.
Elaine supports her clients in gaining awareness and insight to understand their thoughts, feelings and behavioural patterns to help them achieve a higher quality of life. Each treatment program is tailored to each client, utilising a range of therapy modes and techniques, including interpersonal psychotherapy, cognitive behavioural therapy, schema therapy and mindfulness.
Complete the contact us form at the bottom of this page, so you can start working together today.
Contributions to Psychology Research
Elaine is the Author of The Psychology of Sleep: a Simple Scientific Guide to Better Sleep Book where she presents how to sleep better in the context of behavioural neuroscience (also referred to as biological psychology, biopsychology, or psychobiology) to help those struggling with sleep and anxiety disorders achieve a higher quality of life.
Elaine has also developed Brain Training Australia’s online self-paced educational portal covering various mental health and emotional well-being-related topics. These courses are designed for adult clients struggling with symptoms of various mental health and emotional challenges such as stress, anxiety, sleep-related concerns and more, and for Health Practitioners – who wish to access our educational programs for Continuous Professional Development (CPD) purposes to develop and enhance their clinical skills and knowledge.
She enjoys educating fellow Health Practitioners seeking professional development. She has contributed significantly to the field of Psychological Research, and some of her research to date considers topics such as:
- “A Self-Determination Theory Perspective on the Impact of Identity: consequences on Engagement, Psychological Well-Being and Organisational Commitment” and
- “Optimism and Emotional Intelligence as Predictors of Therapists’ Resilience.”
Elaine is currently undertaking her PhD involving:
“A Comparative Analysis of Neurofeedback and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Improved Sleep in Cancer Patients.”
In 2024, Elaine will launch her second book as a tool for Australian Provisional Psychologists and Early Career Psychologists to develop their clinical skills in Anxiety Disorder Assessment and Intervention:
“A Clinical Handbook for Assessment and Intervention of Anxiety Disorders in Australia”
Where can I buy this Book?
The Psychology of Sleep Book by Elaine Collins can be purchased directly on Amazon worldwide.
To suit your individual learning or reading style, you can choose between paperback or Kindle.
If you live outside Australia, simply change your country/region to avoid international postage charges.
How to work with Elaine
Elaine offers the following modalities at Brain Training Australia:
- Online / Telehealth Counselling + Psychology
- Psychology Education Seminars
- Purchase The Psychology of Sleep Book on Amazon
You can work with Elaine directly by filling out your details on any contact us form on our website; please be aware that waitlist may apply depending on current client load.