Low Confidence and Self Esteem can have a negative impact on your life. Thankfully it can be helped with overwhelming positive results.
Self-esteem is important as it is the way we look at ourselves and how much value we place on our worth. People with high self-esteem will regard themselves positively and will be forgiving when mistakes are made and appreciate imperfections. However, those with low self-esteem and confidence issues can be highly critical of themselves and their flaws, and will find it difficult interacting with others.
Signs and Symptoms
Typical signs of someone with low self-esteem include:
- Being unable to accept compliments, while criticism will be taken very harshly.
- Will constantly be comparing themselves negatively to other people.
- Will say and believe negative things about themselves, and will find it difficult to say something positive.
- Will ignore own achievements and focus on failures.
- Will become obsessed with perceived physical and behavioural flaws, and may try to conceal or change them.
- Can often be depressed, anxious, ashamed, and angry.
Self-esteem and confidence issues can lead to a multitude of problems in work, school or home, and it is best that these signs are recognised early. This negative outlook can lead to not just a lower quality of life, but conditions such as depression, and drug and alcohol abuse. Interpersonal relationships may become strained and performance at work or school can be affected.