Perseverance is the mental strength necessary to continue striving for one’s goals in the face of obstacles and setbacks. It requires dedication, focus, and patience. Persistent individuals finish what they start, persisting in the quest to achieve their goals in spite of any hardships they encounter along the way. The broader and more ambitious one’s goals are, the more necessary persistence is in order to achieve them.
How to demonstrate this Character Strength:
Movies: The Piano (1993), The Legend of Bagger Vance (2000)
Music: My Way (Frank Sinatra), On The Road To Find Out (Cat Stevens)
Suggested strategies that correlate with this strength:
- Plan a big project and finish it ahead of time
- Select two activities that you find engaging and meaningful and give 100% to them
- Set 5 x small goals weekly. Break them into practical steps, accomplish them on time, and monitor your progress from week to week.
- Work harder than usual at your most important goal.
- Select a role-model who exemplifies perseverance and determine how you can follow his/ her footsteps.
- Read an inspiring quotation or poem which motivates you to achieve your goals.
- Seed some flowering plants early in the spring and tender them throughout the summer
- Write your goals and aims and post them where you can see them regularly. Let them inspire you.
- Manage a challenging task from start to finish at your work
- Take control of at least one new situation at home or at work, one that you can handle. If you fail, revise your plan but don’t give up until you finish.
- Regularly articulate your goals into specific actions. This helps you to stay motivated and persistent.
- Keep a checklist of things to do and regularly update it.
- Attend a seminar or workshop on time management
- Share your goals with your loved ones. Let them inspire you regularly
- Think about what you would like to accomplish in the next five years. Develop a road map and assess how your present skills match with your goals.
- Be aware how to cut your losses in tasks which don’t require persistence
- For your next challenging task, make a realistic timeline.
By monitoring the above, you will be able to catch when there is an incongruence in this personal strength. An incongruence will compromise you and cause inner conflict, so the above will help you keep on the right track.
Yours in wellness,
Clinical Director I Brain Training Australia I Perth WA
Niemiec, R. M, 2017, Character Strengths Interventions, Hogrefe, Boston
Tayyab, R., Anjum, A., 2005, 340 Ways to Use VIA Character Strengths, University of Pennsylvania